Friday, September 14, 2012

BBD


It doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing, but the minute BBD's "Poison" comes on, I am immediately compelled to do the Running Man. Old Navy, the street corner, my car (a true sight to behold), my bathroom...I'm doing the Running Man regardless of where I am.* Luckily, over the last 20 years, I've honed my dancing skills; it's rare that I'm off-beat (but only in this scenario - I still count my steps in Turbo Kickboxing) so I feel no shame that as I wait in line to try on skirts at H&M, I'm breaking a sweat in front of random strangers.

Bell, Biv, DeVoe, thank you for bringing me so much joy...but I'm not talking about you.

I'm talking about the other BBD - the bigger, better deal. While it may have nothing in common with the group, it is kind of like poison. When we're constantly searching for the BBD, we often overlook what we have. Our desire for something better can poison us against the good things we already have in our lives. We miss out on experiences, on people, on opportunities because we are keeping our options open for the bigger, better deal.
  
Does this mean you shouldn't want what's better or best? Of course not. There's nothing wrong with having goals; it's important that we continue to strive towards growth and improvement. However, it's problematic when you are perpetually dissatisfied. Nothing is as good as better. This search for a unicorn in a field of four-leaf clovers will only lead to analysis paralysis; you can spend your whole life looking for the BBD and wind up with nothing because you're so afraid that the next opportunity/shoe sale/baby boo that comes along will be even better.

This does not mean I'm advocating settling; I'm advocating for finding the balance between being content and making the best of what you have while keeping your eyes and ears open for the bigger, better deal. Though this does not always reply apply to every situation, it can be applicable to most things we deal with. For example, you are unhappy with your job. Given this economy, it's probably not the best idea to quit without having something line up. However, letting people know that you're looking for something new while focusing on the aspects of your current job that don't suck is a good way to find balance (and to minimize your desire to go postal). You get to keep your paycheck and still be proactive about finding the bigger, better job.

I know, it's easier said than done. Many of us have been taught at an early age to want the betterest thing, whatever that may be. We feel like a$$holes when we find out that what we have isn't the best, even if it's what we truly want.

I was recently reminded of this while on vacation with a friend. We were being pressured to buy a timeshare. Admittedly, they got me last time, so I already have one. When I told the salesman about the deal I have, he began telling me how his offer was better. I went into this presentation knowing that I was not going to buy anything, but I will admit, it was tempting. They use all kinds of Jedi mind trickeration to get people to purchase their timeshares, but what made me even briefly consider it (besides the free mimosas) was the idea of better. They had access to some really nice hotels, hotels that may be nicer that some of the ones I can access. Was I missing out on the bigger, better deal? Not really. Yet, I actually considered it because my fear was that I was missing out.

The irony - I haven't even used the plan I already have to even know what would be better! See how that mind trickeration works? Sneaky timeshare sales people Jedis.

~ Please close your office door before hitting play. I do not take any responsibility for anyone who compulsively starts to do the Running Man at work.

 





*Yes, I was listening to it while I was writing, but I had to turn it off because it's hard to type and do the Running Man at the same time.





2 comments:

  1. Sneaky timeshare sales people Jedis. I died laughing. Disturbing images are entering my head: business people in cloaks, wanting you to be 'one with this absolutely incredible once-in-a-lifetime deal'.

    Ambition driven by the BBD is shallow, but potentially so potent. The search for the BBD can do things from topple governments, to ruin
    marriages. It's a nasty little bug that needs to be treated with extreme caution, most importantly in relationships.

    Bel Biv Devoe is a bit before my time, but I've totally heard this tune on an episode of Scrubs.

    Impressive writing as usual, Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Birra! I totally forgot about that Scrubs episode...otherwise, that would have been added!

      Delete