Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Valid, Yes; Necessary, Not So Much


All of our emotions are valid. They may feel irrational and illogical at times, but they are valid nonetheless because we are experiencing them. While there is no such thing as “bad” emotions, there are emotions that we experience that tend to be more harmful and can sometimes lead to self-destructive behavior, increased levels of stress and anxiety and have a negative impact on our physical well-being. Here are 6 valid yet totally unnecessary emotions:

1. Anger – A lot of things cause us to feel angry; the high price of gas, being cheated on, Donald Trump talking mess about Obama, the Kardashians making $65 million last year. However, anger is most often a masking emotion. It covers the emotion we're actually feeling because anger feels a lot more powerful than fear, hurt, disappointment or the myriad of other emotions that make us feel vulnerable. While there are many situations in which we are entitled to feel anger, if we are constantly exploding or suppressing our angry feelings, it can lead to physical and emotional issues, including heart disease and depression. It is crucial to learn how to deal with anger in an emotionally healthy way, such as taking deep breaths before responding or taking a step back and looking at the situation more objectively. 

2. Guilt – Many times, we use guilt as a way of shaming ourselves or others for engaging in behavior that causes pain and hurt. We hope that doing this will cause the behavior to end, but more often than not, it doesn't. How many times have we felt guilty about calling in sick to work when we're really not? Or eating that pint of ice cream for dinner? Or not following through on plans with friends? I'm going to guess that it's happened more than once...and will probably happen again, regardless of how guilty we may feel about it. Unless we can accept responsibility and make changes in our behavior, guilt will get us nowhere.

3. Hatred – The word hate is often used in a lighter context. “I hate exercising.” “I hate waking up early.” “I hate this big zit on forehead.” But for some people, hate is a belief system. They hate gays, Jews, minorities, Christians, Muslims, liberals, republicans, etc.; basically anyone/anything they perceive to be different from them. Hatred leads to extreme and destructive behavior that may lead to a cycle of vengeance and retaliation. It is also believed that carrying around hatred has the same physical impact of carrying around anger.

4. Worry – We all worry; its purpose is to help us focus our attention on solving problems as they arise so we can eliminate the worry. Did I pay my cable bill this month? Will I make my numbers at work? When I mentioned booty-do to my new guy/gal, did I sound stupid? Although worry can be a great motivator, it can also be a great debilitator. Some of us spend a lot of time worrying about everything, including many things that are generally out of our control. Will I receive social security 35 years from now? What's going on with the ozone and the ice caps? Am I going to die of breast cancer? Is my cousin going to stop dating that jerk? Will my dad be laid off? Excessive worry can be an indicator of generalized anxiety disorder, especially when we can't control it despite knowing that it's irrational. It can also lead to panic attacks if it becomes too overwhelming. One tip given on webmd.com: Change what you can and accept the rest.

5. Regret – Anyone who has survived adolescence and made it through their twenties (and maybe their thirties too) relatively unscathed definitely has a few regrets. I definitely can think of a few choices in my life that make me shake my head in disbelief (slick nasty if you ask me). If I hadn't made some of those mistakes and suffered the consequences, I would not be the person I am now. Nor would I have had the necessary experiences to learn how to make better decisions for myself. As I've gotten older, I've decided to regret nothing; all life experiences have value in some way. However, there are some people who fixate on their regrets and it can be paralyzing; they become so fearful of making a mistake, they don't do anything and allow life to pass them by. Living in constant regret can have some harmful physical affects as well.

6. Jealousy - Jealousy is the result of a perceived threat to something we believe belongs to us, whether it be a person, a thing or even a concept, such as success. Often it is rooted in feelings of insecurity or anger. When we experience jealousy, it's important to examine the cause of our feelings. Why am I feeling this way? How am I dealing with these feelings? Once we figure out the cause, how we choose to deal with the feelings can be either positive or negative. For example, if you're feeling jealous because your partner is spending a lot of time with their friends, a positive way to handle it would be to communicate those feelings to them. Following them to their hangout spot and surprising them is not.

Being human means that we all experience some or all of these emotions at any given time. Again, these are all common reactions to the various situations we deal with on a regular basis. What we decide to do with these emotions is the difference between handling our emotions in a healthy and intelligent manner versus letting them fester and cause us emotional distress.

No comments:

Post a Comment