Friday, May 17, 2013

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall


Being a true blue Bay Arean, it's generally the norm to embrace a devil may care attitude toward outward appearance. In some circles, harsh words such as "superficial" or "mainstream" may be used to describe those who believe in shaving their armpits and ironing. It's not what's on the outside, it's what's on the inside that counts!

Tell that to the toothless dude trying to get a quarter to get on BART.

Once you leave the idealistic, liberal, Kumbaya beliefs of the Bay Area behind, you will find that what's on the outside is what gets most people curious about what may be on the inside. But is that the only draw?

Hopefully, my Bay Area resident card won't get revoked in admitting this, but I have been guilty of caring and putting thought into my appearance. Part of it is vanity - deriving pleasure in being recognized/validated by strangers for your eyebrows being perfectly arched. There is also the running into an ex/archenemy/crush and looking so amazing that they can only be left stunned by your amazingness scenario. However, and this is most important, I like to look good for myself. Often how we feel on the inside is reflected on the outside. That's not to say we need to put on a ball gown/suit and tie to run to the grocery store (although you do get a better cut of meat when you look like a princess), but if we're feeling down or not particularly happy with ourselves, it shows up in our dirty, oily hair, dark under-eye circles and the stained t-shirt and baggy, saggy sweatpants that even Goodwill would reject.

I won't go as far to say I'm obsessed with appearance (not just my own, mind you), but it's definitely something I consider. Even though there are times when it absolutely should not matter (i.e. going running in the cold, dark mornings), I still cared. Now, I'm not that chick (Kim Kartrashian) who puts on full makeup to work out, but I would try to fix my hair, use tinted lip balm and always had on earrings.

Then something happened. I don't know what that something is, but it shifted the importance I put on appearances. I stopped caring about what I looked like to others. I work out at 6 am - who's checking for me? No one! It's practically the middle of the night and working out means sweating profusely and doing stuff that makes it hard to breathe. I don't have time to worry about my stubby eyelashes or my bedhead hair. It's too dark to see the slightly red tint of my Dr. Pepper lipsmacker...so I put it away.

There's something very liberating about not worrying so much about your appearance. It's not that I've totally given up; on the contrary, I still make an effort to look nice and presentable. However, it's not for the validation of others inasmuch as it makes me feel good. I no longer feel compelled to wear what everyone else is wearing - I'm doing me. If it means I'm a little under/overdressed, so be it, it's what I wanted to wear and how I wanted to look. Besides, there's a lot more to me than a cute pair of shoes or jeans that make my butt look good (but I'm always on a quest to find those).

I didn't realize this happened until I went to Hawaii back in January. Traveling from a cold climate to a warm climate means being creative in your attire. And I looked very creative. But I also didn't give a f*ck. It was super early, I didn't know anyone on the plane, I wanted to be comfortable and it was super early. While I didn't look a total hot mess, I was clearly aiming for comfort. That's when it hit me - maybe I'm growing. Maybe I'm moving toward reveling in who I am, creative clothing and all. Who knows? Only time will tell - I still wear my earrings when I work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment