Friday, July 27, 2012

All By Myself


A while ago, I moved into a small apartment after living in my family home for several years. While everything else in my life has been a bit of a mess and sometimes unhappy making, the one thing that has given me solace is my apartment. Although I haven't named it, it feels like my apartment is my friend and when I haven't been spending much time at home, I actually miss it. Decorated the way I like, it gets great light, I have a little outside patio and I can pick lemons right off the tree by taking about 7 steps from my front door. It's pretty awesome. But the best part? I live alone.

This isn't the first time I've lived alone, but it had been quite some time since I had. Although living at home definitely had its benefits (thanks dad, for all the Sunday breakfasts), it stopped feeling like my home at a certain point. I couldn't really explain it other than I just needed my own space, a place that reflected who I am and the things I liked. Plus, I felt like I was getting too old to live there, no matter how great it was (Papa Suddy is an amazing roommate). However, there are also about 8,347 benefits to living alone. Here are 9 of them:

1. Nudity - although I  personally am not shy about being naked, lots of people are. When you live by yourself, you can walk around your place naked - whether it be to grab something from the living room before hopping in the shower or because you just don't want to be bothered with a robe while you make yourself some tea (be careful with that hot water though).

2. Sex - while you're getting your groove on (with someone or yourself), you can be as loud and adventurous as you want and not worry about how much information your roommate is getting about how much you like...uh, the things you like.

3. Food - who took the last of the orange juice without replacing it? Who ate your chunky monkey ice cream? That would be you. Not only is all the food the fridge yours, you can have some of your more weird unique foods around without being judged.

4. Company - you can invite anyone you want over, anytime you like. You don't have to worry about interrupting anyone's sleep schedule or if your guest gets along with your roommate.

5. Television - no arguing over who gets to hold the remote or why you have to watch the Storage Wars marathon. (Seriously, can you believe what gets put on TV these days?)

6. Cleanliness - if you don't feel like doing the dishes right away, don't. If it's been 6 months since you've cleaned your bathroom (which is pretty gross), at least you know the ring in the tub is all your own filth. Or if you need like to dust and vaccum everyday, have at it. It's your place, your standard of cleanliness.

7. Money - you don't have to worry if the electricity is going to get cut off because you're the (hopefully) responsible adult who makes sure the bill is paid. If you think cable is frivolous, you don't have to have it and pay half of the $2,390 cable bill. You are not dependent on anyone to take care of what happens at home.

8. Style - there may be some people who think your framed poster of Bob Marley smoking a joint is a little tacky, but who cares, because you like it! You can have wicker furniture in your living room, pictures of your cat all over the place and a proud display of your beanie baby collection because that's how you want your place to look. People may not want to come over because the eyes on your beanie babies follow them wherever they go, but that's why they don't live with you.

9. Bathroom concerns - everybody farts and poops, we all know that. However, if you're a shy farter, you may not feel comfortable pooting in front of others. When you live alone, no one is around to experience it! Same for going boo boo. While yours may be equally as devastating as someone else's, it's yours! Nothing worse than walking in behind a boo boo that's not yours.

With all that being said, there are a few downsides to living alone.It can be lonely, always coming home to a quiet house. You are responsible for everything - food, bills, making sure you have toilet paper, taking out the garbage, etc.; there's no one else to pick up the slack. Your secret single behaviors may develop into some serious quirks because there's no one around to let you know you're becoming strange. If you pick wisely or are lucky, living with someone else can be a lot of fun too. But...living alone is pretty awesome. I think if it's possible, everyone should live alone at least one time in their life. It can be empowering, knowing that you can take care of business by yourself and most importantly, you can thoroughly enjoy your own company.

Besides, what's better than making tea in the nude? Oh right, blogging in the nude. :)






1 comment: