Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I am healthy...like an 84-year old with emphysema!



Now that the first month of 2011 is over, I have a question: how are those resolutions holding up? Yeah, me neither. Thank goodness I didn't make any! In all sincerity, there is something that I have been working on – my health. As I get older, it's becoming more apparent that taking good care of myself is a habit that I need to continuously develop and incorporate into my life. It isn't easy; I love dessert and I would rather go shopping than save my money for a rainy day (thank goodness I'm going to win the lottery). Wait – what does money have to do with health?

Being healthy isn't just about how our bodies are doing. It's composed of several other facets that all contribute to our sense of well-being. When one aspect is suffering, the others are sure to follow if we ignore them. How often do you do a comprehensive health check? Here are the 6 things to pay attention to and get checked out by a professional (if necessary):

  1. Physical health – this category also includes our sexual health and dental health. When was the last time you went to the doctor for preventive services? How is your blood pressure, weight, blood sugar levels, cholesterol, etc? How often do you exercise, eat your vegetables, drink water? For the ladies, when was your last pap smear? Fellas, how about getting checked for testicular cancer? Has your dentist seen you in the last 6 months? As much as I dislike going to the doctor and dentist, I always feel better when I can cross them off my list. Plus, I'd rather deal with getting my teeth cleaned every 4-6 months than put it off for years and have to get a root canal.

  2. Mental/emotional health – a few weeks ago, I talked about some of the more common mental health diagnoses. Sometimes there's no diagnosis; we just need some extra support as we go through life's transitions. Are you getting married, changing careers, becoming a parent, ending a relationship? Have you been more stressed out lately? Crying for no apparent reason? Or maybe just feeling a little bit off? Whatever may be concerning you, it can only be beneficial to get it checked out. It's okay, getting support doesn't mean you're crazy.

  3. Financial health – who doesn't need more money? We are a society of consumption and immediate gratification. It feels great to have purchasing power, but at the end of the day, that big screen television will break down and that new phone is going to become obsolete in about 15 minutes. Do you have money for emergencies? Have you started a retirement fund? Actually, let's talk about the basics - do you balance your checkbook? Can you balance your checkbook? Not having enough money is very stressful and can negatively impact both your physical and mental health. It may be worthwhile to consult a financial planner to get you on the right track. You're never too young to start a retirement fund.

  4. Relationship health – as we get older, other responsibilities can make it more difficult to maintain those close, supportive friendships. With the advent of social networking sites, it can seem like we're keeping up with friends and family. However, Facebook will never replace having coffee and catching up with an old friend in person. It's very easy to get wrapped up in work and become isolated. Even just a phone call can make us feel reconnected to friends and family.

  5. Spiritual health – this doesn't necessarily mean going to church. We can get in touch with our spiritual side – whether it means believing in God, Buddha, Allah, tarot card readings or worshiping the sun in the sky and the ground beneath our feet. Studies have proven that there is a positive correlation between physical health, mental health and spirituality. There's no right or wrong way to be spiritually healthy; it's up to each of us to define that for ourselves. 

  6. Career health – I know it sounds kind of funny, but considering we spend the majority of our day at work, it can have a huge impact on everything. Are you working too much? Do you feel accurately compensated for your work? How do you get along with your co-workers? How satisfied are you with your career/work? I knew it was time for me to leave my previous job when I started to look forward to the weekends – on Monday. It was also affecting my mental and emotional health because I was starting to hate it and it made me question if being a psychotherapist was still the right career for me. After taking a much-needed break, I discovered that it is – just not in the same capacity.

I hope this has been helpful and maybe even a little inspiring, especially if you've been putting off contacting your doctor/dentist/therapist/financial planner/friends/family/rabbi/priest/minister. All these categories are interconnected; have you noticed that when you feel stressed about work, you're more prone to exhaustion and illness? Or that when you're broke, you become snappy and easily irritated? As Americans, we're taught to get help once we've already got a problem. Wouldn't it be awesome to prevent the problem from happening in the first place? Now excuse me, I need to call my dentist and make an appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment